The Greenville Comic Book and Sports Card Show




    Yesterday I attended the Greenville Comic Book and Sports Card Show, a one-day weekend event that was held at the Clarion Inn and Suites, located at 50 Orchard Park Drive in Greenville, SC.

    This event occurs about three times a year and it's a great place to stock up on back issues and sports cards (if that's your thing). This particular venue is an equal split between comic book and sports card dealers. Dave Shankle always brings a terrific assortment of mid-to high end golden & silver age stuff, but over the past year he has been offering a nice assortment of largely silver and bronze age gems in boxes marked $10 apiece or six books for $10. These books are a steal for that price and their condition leans heavily towards collectible grades.

    I pulled 50+ copies myself and after returning home, I was pleased to see that they were in as good a condition as I had thought at the show. My bronze age treasures would all grade somewhere between F/VF and NM-.

    Here's a glimpse at the bulk of my Saturday purchases: Iron Man #'s 83-84, 88-98; Marvel Spotlight #27; Marvel Premiere #36; Incredible Hulk #'s 197, 199-201, 203, 206, 208-211; Godzilla #21; Fantastic Four #188; Super-Villain Team-Up #'s 2, 4-12; Marvel Team-Up #'s 47 & 53; The Invaders #'s 11-14, 16-18 (plus a few others).

    Bronze age Marvels are increasingly becoming hard to come by at affordable prices, so I snap up as many as I can when an opportunity presents itself. The bulk of my original silver and bronze collection was sold off twenty years ago to buy nursery furniture and other baby needs, and I admit that reacquiring them has been both fun and frustrating. They just don't make comics like this anymore folks.

    Oh, and my brother did more damage to his wallet than I did. He picked up a complete run of high grade Omaha the Cat Dancer and minus a measly three issues, a complete high grade set of Cherry Poptart, plus a small stack of silver & bronze age stuff to boot. Between the two of us, Dave Shankle made some nice cash for his daytrip to Greenville County and we get to do it all over again sometime around the first week of December. Yay!
    Source URL: https://galgadots.blogspot.com/2010/08/greenville-comic-book-and-sports-card.html
    Visit Gal Gadot for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive